Friday, March 20, 2009

Rant #1- The pros and cons of using music to study

The pros and cons of using music to help you study are pretty numerous, but probably the biggest for each is that it helps you study easier, and it relaxes you, but on the other hand, it can distract you and cause you to not study at all. There is research that goes either way, but personally I think that it helps you study. One article I found says that music only distracts you and doesn’t help at all, but another one I found says that it really helps. My personal opinion is that it really helps you. I find that whenever I use it to help me study, usually I get better grades, and it really relaxes me, but sometimes I kind of get away from studying for a minute when a good song comes on, so there is that element there that it distracts you, but I don’t really get distracted to the point where I don’t study anymore. I can really see music being a big distraction for someone else, though, because some people really like listening to music, so when they hear a song they like, they probably wouldn’t study at all. It might even get to the point where someone who likes music a lot might even get worse grades than everyone else, and the research that has been done even says things like that. So to conclude, there is research to both sides of the argument, and it really supports it, but my personal opinion is that it really helps you with studying and doing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment