Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What is music?

My personal definition of music is something that you can listen and relate to. Most of the time, music will tell a story either that you can say you’ve been there before, or you can relate to. Music to me is probably something that has a good beat and you can kind of relate to, like what music does most of the time. For me when I think about music, I also think about whether it has a good beat or not. Most of the time, if it doesn’t have a good beat; I don’t really listen to it as much. To others, it might mean something different, or it can mean the same thing, but in the end, it all comes down to relation to your life. Someone else might even think that some of the songs that I listen to, they don’t like it. I use music in my daily life when I’m in Band class, practicing my oboe at home, or even in Music Tech class. It helps me to get through the day, and sometimes when I listen to a CD before school, it even helps me to think about what I need to remember to do in my classes. I might even listen to music while I’m studying for a test, and it helps so that I can just relax and study easier. Sometimes if I don’t listen to music, I may not do as well on a test, so it really helps just to calm me down; especially if I’m listening to a good song. So, to conclude, Music is something that helps you relate to things, and everyone might have their own definition of music, but to me it’s just something that helps me in my life

1 comment:

  1. Graham - some good comments and observations here. I'd note that there is neurological research that demonstrates an aligning of the body with the music that one listens to; in your case it calms you down as you study and work. This is a typical way one uses music in their own lives.

    You speak a lot of the beat, again, something that is commonly referred to when one is speaking of music. I presume that you're describing that innate quality music has to inspire and move you, rather than the basic pulse of the music :)

    You also comment that music you find you can relate to is the music that you like. When asked how he writes these great rock anthems, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters said something like "you write a song that is general enough that everyone can attach their own meaning to it". The poorer songs (by 50 Cent and his ilk? Did I just say that?) relate to a specific event, people, or places, and contains material people find it harder to relate to (being fabulously rich, having numerous sexual partners, etc).

    Good observations. I'd recommend reading your blog aloud to make sure it is presented the way you visualize it - there are some problems with your sentence structure.

    8/10

    ReplyDelete